My Last Rock Bottom

by

I have written a book.

It’s a memoir about why I quit drinking, called My Last Rock Bottom. So as you can imagine, it contains some pretty…interesting material. I’m a little nervous about it.

I’m not sure what people will think of me once they read about some of the things I’ve gone through…I’m worried about being crucified for some of the bad decisions I’ve made, even though I’m on the right path now.

I’m super terrified about what people think.
The question is, why? Why do we care so much about what other people think of us? Or maybe you’re one of those lucky people who don’t care what anyone thinks. You have no idea what I’d give to be one of those people. I drive myself nuts caring about the opinion of others…even when it comes to those I don’t like. 
For instance, the description of some of my ex-boyfriends in my memoir is not exactly flattering. And I’m scared of what these guys will possibly think about that…but then, of course, I have to remind myself that my ex-boyfriends don’t read.

Still, I wonder…what is it that lies within us that causes us to seek the approval of everyone? I understand that I am completely neurotic, so maybe I just care more than most people do.
I want to be able to publish my book without all these insecurities creeping in…I want to feel confident about my writing and be able to express myself freely without the judgment of others weighing so heavily on my mind. I take comfort in knowing that I’m not the only one who craves everyone’s acceptance. I do wonder how many people out there are like me when it comes to this. I wonder what causes some of us to care so much, while others can simply let things roll off their backs. I want to know how I can be more like that.

So ask yourself about this. Are you someone who worries a lot about what everyone else thinks? And if so, why? And is there anything you can do to change it? I’ve been trying to change my thinking. It’s hard. It’s also exhausting wanting everyone to like me all the time, though. It should be okay with me if someone doesn’t like me. There isn’t a person living or deceased who is liked by everyone. I’ve even heard people criticize Mother Theresa. If she isn’t liked and admired by everyone on the planet, then there’s certainly no hope for someone like me. I just need to learn to be at peace with the idea that not everyone is going to adore me. I need to focus on the people who do love me for me. I need to not compromise myself by bending over backwards trying to win everyone over. I can’t mold myself into what might be everyone’s ideal.

You will never please all of the people, all of the time.
As much as I don’t want to care about potential negative book reviews, I know I will care. The key is learning to be okay with it. I need to publish this book and never look back.

If you are one of those people who cares too much about what everyone thinks, try to work on that. If you’re someone who doesn’t care, try to help the rest of us, like me.


Perhaps by surfing the Internet, stumbling upon Amazon, and buying my book when it comes out on November 11.