by


Something to Believe In

Where is God?

I wonder this often.  Where was God when the bombs exploded in Boston?  Where was he when little kids were being shot at an elementary school?  Where is he when any terrible tragedy is occurring?  I try to believe, but it gets hard.

I don’t understand how, or why, if God is all-knowing and all-powerful, why would he allow these things to happen?  Mostly when I ask this question I get the answer that evil still exists and we have free will…but couldn’t God prevent these horrible things from happening?

Am I the only one who has a hard time keeping the faith in this world?

Every day I feel like it’s more and more of a struggle, harder to believe in something bigger than all of us…hard to keep going and believing.  And I’ve never really experienced my own personal tragedy ever…so I don’t know how people who have been through major challenges can keep trusting in God.  I’m finding it difficult.
Of course, there’s always the argument that there is no God.  Well, for some reason, I believe there is.  I don’t have proof, but no matter what happens, I just keep believing.  Believing that no matter how hard it seems at times, we all have a life plan that’s been set for us.  There is and will someday be a reason for everything, a reason we will understand.  I just believe that.

Still, it’s so hard to watch the news on any given night.  There is so much sadness, so much tragedy in the world…how does anyone wake up every day and not have depression?  I don’t see how.
I pray every day for all the people I know or don’t know who are going through anything difficult.  I pray for my own family, too, and thank God for blessing me.  I just can’t stop thinking about the state of the world and how messed up it is.  I sometimes lie awake at night, unable to sleep because I’m thinking about it.  If everything happens for a reason, then what would possibly be the reason for innocent people dying every day?  I don’t understand life.

I’m always searching for answers, either from a book, a pastor, or a psychologist….sometimes Googling the meaning of life at 3 a.m.  And no one has the answer.  None of us will know the answer until we meet our maker.  It just seems so unfair sometimes, though.
I hope everyone reading is able to hold on to a little bit of faith, no matter how small.  Know that I’m praying for you if you’re going through a rough time.  We just have to keep the faith, I guess.  What’s the solution if that’s not it?

Just know that if you’re confused and struggling to believe, I am right there with you.  Maybe we can all help each other.