An Open Letter to Dr. Tuigim

by

I have known you for a long time.  I loved you as soon as I met you.  You are super nice, hilarious, and brilliant.  I have so many fond memories from high school, classes we had together, marching band moments.  You could and still can always make me laugh.  You are the best shopping partner.  I have too many nights to remember that we partied together…

Which leads me to my next point.  Because you had the courage to admit that you had a drinking problem, you gave me the courage to do the same.  I don’t know if I would have done it had you not done it first.  You could never really grasp how grateful I am for that.  Thank you.

You’ve also “fixed” me because you “get me.”  I’ve seen too many doctors to count, attempting in vain to find the right medicinal cocktail to balance my bipolar disorder.  It was never right until you.  You understand.  You listen, you really listen.  You care.  As soon as you prescribed my new medication, I noticed a huge difference.  I’ve never felt more me.  If that makes sense.  The medication I was on before I saw you was making me feel numb, emotionless.  I couldn’t write.  I couldn’t do anything.  Because of your insight and knowledge and the fact that you truly care, I feel like I’ve gotten my life back.  In a sense, you’ve saved my life.  This might sound over-the-top, but it’s true.  I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately.  I don’t think I’d be where I am now without you.

So I just wanted to thank you for being my friend.  My doctor.  My inspiration to change.

Merry Christmas, Dr. Tuigim.