by

I am obsessed with P!nk.

I have been ever since I heard of her, before she morphed into the powerhouse that she is today.  I connect with her lyrics; I love her voice.  I love how she is herself and she isn’t afraid to sing about subjects so many artists gloss over or ignore altogether.

Her song “Sober” is one that I credit with helping me to overcome the alcoholism that took hold of my life for far too long, but that’s another blog post in itself.

Today I want to talk about her new song, “The Great Escape.”  This song, like so many others of hers, really touches me on a visceral level.  I heard it not long after the suicide summit I attended for We Care People, and it fits perfectly.  It’s about wanting to escape this life, wanting out.  And it promises that that won’t happen.  Even though many people, myself included, want to make the great escape at times in this life, we have to be strong and live the lives we were intended to live.

I facilitate a support group for bipolar/depressed individuals, and this song reminds me of several of the dedicated, wonderful people who attend.  I’ve listened to them talk about wanting to make the great escape.  Feeling alone, so alone…wanting out.  I think this song is a great one to listen to when those unwanted thoughts cross your mind.  I credit music, in part, to saving my life several times over.  When I’m feeling down, sometimes all I can do is listen to music, Like P!nk, and after a while, I feel less alone…the thoughts subside.  Sometimes it’s not so easy…members of our support group, including me, have called the suicide hotline more than once.  We Care People has a 24/7 line, too.  1-800-567-HOPE.  It helps.  It has helped so many people.  Don’t be ashamed for feeling these thoughts…don’t be scared to talk about it.  Once you do, you’ll be amazed how people have felt the same way.

I think we were put in this life to help each other along the way.  Even people like P!nk, who has no idea I exist, has helped me tremendously.  The people in my support group have helped me more than they’ll ever know.  I value them so much.  If you’re in the area and would like to attend, message me anytime for more information.  If you’re not in the area and you ever feel like making the great escape, please talk to someone.  Listen to this song.  You are valuable.  You are needed.  You are loved.

I am seeing P!nk in concert on March 6 in Columbus and attempting to get a press pass to write about it for this blog.  It would be a dream come true.  Even if it doesn’t happen, seeing her in concert will be something I’ll never forget, ever.  I can’t wait.
 
Thank you, P!nk.


The Great Escape
 
I can understand how the edges are rough

And they cut you like the tiny slithers of glass

And you feel too much

And you don’t know how long you’re gonna last,



But everyone you know, is tryin’a smooth it over,

Find a way to make the hurt go away,

But everyone you know, is tryin’a smooth it over,

Like you’re trying to scream underwater,

But, I won’t let you make the great escape,

I’m never gonna watch you checkin out of this place

I’m not gonna lose you

Cause the passion and pain

Are gonna keep you alive someday


Gonna keep you alive someday
I feel like I could wave my fist in front of your face

And you wouldn’t flinch or even feel a thing

And you retreat to your silent corner

Like you decided the fight was over for ya,



Everyone you know, is tryin’a smooth it over,

Find a way to make the hurt go away,

Everyone you know, is tryin’a smooth it over,

Everyone needs a floor they can fall through

I won’t let you make the great escape,

I’m never gonna watch you checkin outta this place

I’m not gonna lose you

Cause the passion and pain

Are gonna keep you alive someday
They’re gonna keep you alive someday



Oh, Terrified of the dark, but not if you go with me

And I don’t need a pill to make me know

And I wrote the book already,

But that chapter of my life will soon be done



I’m the king of the great escape

You’re not gonna watch me check-in outta this place

You’re not gonna lose me

Cause the passion and pain

Are gonna keep us alive, someday

Yeah the passion and the pain

Are gonna keep us alive someday, someday